Actions taken or being taken

  • Anonymous
  • unspecified
  • Offline
Posted: Fri, 10/10/2008 - 04:35

If you are contacting someone, be it media or other, and you feel it might benefit others on the site, please give the details.

0
Your rating: None

Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Diver - I've emailed you.

  • sleeplessnight
  • 10/10/08 30/06/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 08:21

Diver - I've emailed you.


Pres Release _ Thanks

  • Diver
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 09:45

Right! I'm back earlier than I expected so I'll get to work. Thank you to all for your emails and your input. I will now endeavour to put together the final final final Pres Release for you all to look at. Once that is done and agreed I will ask the mods/admin team to delete all previous versions from this site leaving us with one pristine (hopefully) copy.

I'll let you know when it's done. Thanks!


Diver - can we mention petition in press release?

  • malc
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 09:47

Diver,
not sure if you saw my earlier post re a very brief mention of a petition in the press release


malc - if we state that

  • sleeplessnight
  • 10/10/08 30/06/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 10:03

malc - if we state that representatives from our action group will be at XX at XX on XX to hand over a petition on behalf of the 10,000 depositors, we can then follow up media to attend. We need to make sure we have got as large a number as possible to go along. Where can we start collating a list of folk who are gong to be there so we can get the right details?


PRESS RELEASE - URGENT

  • Diver
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 10:39

The latest and hopefully final Press Release is ready except for 2 things. We need:

1) A telephone number to put down at the bottom - IoM team? Any preference?

2) An email address for contacts. Does this site have an email address we could use for the press?


email for press release - needs confirming

  • swissloss
  • 13/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 10:47

Diver - the email I get sent things from is ksfiomdepositors(?)netgenius [dot] co [dot] uk but someone needs to confirm that they can man this and detail with possible press enquiries quickly


Malc

  • Diver
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 09:57

Hi Malc, can't find your earlier post but the Petition is mentioned in the last paragraph of the PR


Press release

  • malc
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 08:13

Diver,

I think the best time is to get it out before Monday. Then once the petition is delivered we are getting two bites at the media cherry....so to speak

malc


Timing of press release - today

  • swissloss
  • 13/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 08:10

Diver - agree it should be today so it has time to get in to the weekend papers - more space to publish and more time for people to read/ sympathise. Who knows what the top news headlines will be on Monday?


Timing of Press Release

  • wood
  • 12/10/08 30/05/13
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 08:06

Diver
Would it not be good to release today to get the extra publicity for the petition delivery in as much of the weekend press as possible?


Prince Andrew

  • dave
  • 14/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 06:29

Prince Andrew on IOM today. Opens building in Braddan, takes lunch with business people in Douglas and then another job at airport. Is this an opportunity for small peaceful demonstration.


Gordon Ramsey

  • icdbrazil
  • 10/10/08 30/11/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 22:40

Sad really, but just sent message below to Gordon Ramsey Holdings. Can´t do any harm, they could use it positively for him at same time.

I note that you have made a statement regarding your group no longer using Kaupthing Singer Friedlander, however given Mr Ramsey´s previous association with them I am writing to request that you bring to his attention the plight of KSF IOM depositors.(see above link).
Perhaps you would consider whether your press relations people could assist in getting our message out, given the absurd state of affairs. I believe that Mr Ramsey is not shy of sticking up for unfair treatment, and his involvement (given his previous high profile in KSF promotional material) would demonstrate sensitivity for those now so baddly effected. Fully recognized of course that he had nothing at all to do with their downfall - Gordon Brown managed that on his own!

Properly done I´m sure the general public would see his actions in this respect in a very positive light.


GOOD JOB - THANKS

  • mikepapa
  • 10/10/08 n/a (free)
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 02:09

Well done icdbrazil........ good job

Understand Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear also tied in with KSF-IOM
can you please send similar to him?

Cheers


John Cleese

  • Monkeyface3604
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 22:43

John Cleese did adverts for them so he could be worth approaching......he is still alive isnt he ????


Petition Downing Street on Monday

  • Chairman2
  • 12/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 21:56

I read earlier that Diver and Expat were requesting a more co-ordinated effort towards delivering the petition to Downing Street on Monday and other planned activities on the Isle of Man. I agree and want to help at any level, although I have just read that Sleepless has taken on the Downign Street action I would be available for this or other activities.
If we want to swell the numbers at Downing Street, please let me know and I will attend.
We have $550,000 missing and live in Crawley West Sussex. Please excuse these basic questions but I have been away for most of the last week.
Has an action group been arranged?
Do we have an action group management committee?
This has probabaly already been implemented, but if not is it possible to arrange a meeting even though the logistics of travelling ie either difficult or impossible for many.
As stated this may already be in place but whatever I am willing to help wherever i can.
The site is a lifeline for us all and for those who have spent so many hours in preparing and forwarding all the excellent information we say thank you.

Lets be positive and work together to retrieve what is rightfully ours.


Yes!

  • Diver
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 22:01

I still need to talk to sleepless about the petition but I do think that a small group delivering a petition would look better than 1-3 people. Come along! I'll pass on any more info as and when I get it. Can you drop me an email as that's the best way to communicate directly. Thanks


SLEEPLESS

  • Diver
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 20:48

We need to co-ordinate Monday's delivery of the Petition and some other London centric stuff. Can you email me via this site and we can arrange everything?


Need an email and phone for Press

  • Diver
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 20:46

Ok, I'm no internet wizzard so apologies if this is a stupid question.

Is it possible to set up a generic email address, that we can all access, where the press can post questions and contact us (if they don't want to use the site)?

Reason I ask is becauase we need this as well as a phone number to put on our Press Release so that they can contact us easily.

Expat...any ideas what phone number you want us to use as a contact?


Press contact, email and phone number

  • ng
  • 11/10/08 31/12/20
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 01:49

email address

It's feasible to have a "special" email address where incoming messages get converted to posts on the site. Potential problem - process would be entirely automatic, we might not want such items to be displayed.

Alternative would be to have all incoming messages to the designated email address automatically forwarded to a defined list of email addresses.

phone number

It's feasible, fairly easy actually, to set up a number which acts as a "voicemail" service and where all incoming messages get automatically forwarded as audio files to a defined list of email addresses. Could even be automatically be posted on the site as links to the audio, but probably not a good idea.


ng

  • skintagainnow
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 01:59

ng - apologies nothing about this topic - but can you sort this link out for me - brains gone... ta

http://www.ksfiomdepositors.netgenius.co.uk/?q=node/242#comment-4722


Don't' understand what you need

  • ng
  • 11/10/08 31/12/20
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 02:06

Sorry. Please explain.


Incoming Email should be posting direct to the forum.

  • manu_fr
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 20:59

NG - I believe you can get Drupal to do this no?


Post email to the forum

  • ng
  • 11/10/08 31/12/20
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 23:08

Yes, it's possible, quite a lot of configuration though. A couple of hours work at least.

  • Comments can be posted easily by email. New topics are not so easy (though possible).

  • We have to assign an email address, which as it stands can't be one at ksfiomdepositors.com - its an issue related to the site move last week - we haven't moved the domain, we are doing browser redirects to get people here if they try www.ksfiomdepositors.com.

If this requires further discussion, please add a topic in site functionality


need for a legal eagle

  • expat
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 20:17

can the proffesional legals please contact me i think its a Steve? we need to make sure we make reprsentation on the 23rd here oon IoM, no doubt alonside lots of big boys. we need to talk it over
thanks
Don't panic its all part of the proceess!
To the postaman thank you, clearly understood


oh go on hopper ringfence

  • expat
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 20:14

oh go on hopper ringfence me!


Panorama programme tonight

  • brokefirefly
  • 12/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 17:55

Hi Everyone,

I just saw on the bbc front page (http://www.bbc.co.uk/) that Panorama are having a live discussion tonight about the financial industry in general. I just submitted a hasty quesion about the Kaupthing IOM situation along the lines of "Would Gordon Brown please tel me how I am supposed to trust the financial industry after losing nearly all my life savings in a deposit account that was supposed to be a safe place to put money that I couldn't afford to lose?". - and then I explained a but more.

Perhaps if lots of us write in it might get some air time............


I have followed. Let's hope

  • sleeplessnight
  • 10/10/08 30/06/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 18:05

I have followed. Let's hope they are asked.


Treasury Select Committee

  • expatfrance1
  • 15/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 16:36

Just recieved the following e-mail (I think in response to an e-mail I sent to the Treasury Select Committe members) requesting questions to be put Alistair Darling, Mervyn King and Adair Turner:-

Banking Crisis Inquiry
The Committee has invited the Rt. Hon. Alistair Darling MP, Chancellor
of the Exchequer, Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England, and Lord
Adair Turner, Chairman, Financial Services Authority to appear as soon
as possible, given the public concern about the stability of the UK
banking system and commitment of such a large sum of taxpayers' money in
the Chancellor's proposals.
Thank you for sending us the questions that you would like to be
answered is this evidence session. The Committee will ask as many of the
questions submitted as possible.
The date of the hearing will be announced in due course.
Please note:
* Questions can be submitted up to 48 hours before the hearing.
* The Committee regrets it cannot accept any other form of submission
apart from email to the following address: bankingcrisis(?)parliament [dot] uk
* Submissions should take the form of questions rather than statements
and should be no longer than 100 words. If you wish to remain anonymous,
please state clearly at the beginning of the email.
* The Committee regrets that not all questions submitted can be
guaranteed to be asked.

Treasury Committee
House of Commons
7 Millbank

It might be an idea to formulate some choice questions


Excellent Source

  • 491
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 17:04

This is an excellent way for us to get answers.. well done. I suggest we keep this top of pile here under "Action Taken" for a while, and advise you to cross post to "General". Blair


action to take

  • dave
  • 14/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 17:22

Today is question time day on BBC. Can we get a question asked about our situation


In-Flight vs In-Place Deposits

  • 491
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 15:31

Hopper: I wish you and your fellow in-flight team the very best with this initiative. If I had money in-flight I would certainly do the same thing. However, as you know, it does raise the spectre of a very obvious conflict between those with funds in flight, and those of us who did not seek to initiate fund transfers.

Essentially, my view is that I'd like to see the relevant bank and liquidation laws applied fairly - I'm sure you want the same. If it is standard practice for in-flight monies to be released preferentially, then... well more power to you.

As this issue divides this forum, I'd like to encourage everyone here to focus on what we have in common: 100% reimbursement of all! And to petition our Liquidator Provisionally to just ensure that all depositors are treated fairly.

Cheers,

Blair


In flight versus in place

  • HOPPER
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 18:48

Blair, thanks. I am actually in both camps, but skewed to the former (£900k in flight, up to £25k in place) which means I must try and claim the in flight first
BUT, having now initiated that process, and given what Iceland announced today (in terms of seeking £500m damages against the UK Gov) I am now thinking ahead to the legal case if we, as an entire group, need to launch a class action to sue HM Treasury (and/or Iceland) for damages. I have already been discussing this with London legal folks. Early days, but even if I do manage to claim in flight money, I am still in the "in place camp" too which may require us to go down the legal route.
Way too early to do this yet of course, no quantifiable damages have occured as yet, but no harm in thinking this through#
For all of us though, the PR/Media/political awareness campaign is helpful to us all.


The Legal Assault...

  • 491
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Fri, 17/10/2008 - 05:50

Hopper: Well I hope you get both amounts back... in full! Sadly, it does appear that Iceland and the UK are heading toward a major legal conflict. One can only hope that it might all be posturing before negotiation. But if it proceeds, I imagine we will want to be a party to their legal action, and to launch our own if it does not. I'd certainly sign up for a broader class action, if it were necessary, but do you not think Mike Simpson will push that... when the time comes? No harm in thinking it through as you say. I would just want "our" lawyers to get my money back before they get your money back :) Blair


In flight V In place

  • mikepapa
  • 10/10/08 n/a (free)
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 20:10

Hopper,

I find myself in a simiular situation as yourself as having transered a substantial amount prior to closure, and leaving substantial funds in account - ie foot in both camps.

Foregive me - May I ask if you have received recent confirmation from KSF IOM that you funds did infact leave your account, and are currently held in UK/RBS/elsewhere in suspense?


in flight vrs in place

  • rippedoff
  • 12/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 16:58

Blair, I fully agree with your comments. I'm sure we all wish Hopper well with his endeavours.
Could someone enlighten me as to precisely how to define whether we have in flight funds? I requested a withdrawal via e-banking on Monday 6th October and another on Weds 8th. Until the web site went down there was no sign of either transfer leaving my account. Unless someone thinks otherwise, I'm assuming my funds are not in flight, rather my request was ignored.


I instructed an on line US$

  • icdbrazil
  • 10/10/08 30/11/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 20:15

I instructed an on line US$ transfer on 07/10, it showed as authorised.

I called KSFIOM this week when the phone lines opened and they advised that the transfer had not been done due to work load! ie. Request not carried out. Suggest give them a call to check status of yours.


Still in the bank

  • masu
  • 10/10/08 30/04/14
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 17:57

We initiated swift transactions on the 7th and 8th . One was to the USA , the other to the Middle East .The phone lines are open and if you are persistent you will get an answer from the bank staff .Mine were still sitting in the bank in theIOM . Heaven knows where we stand legally with this !


in flight transfers

  • aikom
  • 16/10/08 21/06/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 17:04

I thought i was in the same situation as hopper, even contacted his lawyers. Liquidator told me my funds are being held by RBS and that he as liquidator had no intentions of claiming those funds as assets in the liquidation. But according to my Nat West representative no transfers can be found by them or RBS, for me or anyone!!!! I'm trying to get a transfer ref number from liquidator, let you know if i succeed.


I agree Blair

  • Monkeyface3604
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 16:41

I agree Blair, my family is in your boat, account was 60 days notice and we got to 59!!!
We need to stay united in this, we have all been stiffed and thats the way it is.
Makes no difference whether it a kick or a punch, its all wrong.


KSF (IOM) Press Release

  • Mike
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 15:17

Just took this off the KSF (IOM) website for those who have not seen it yet

http://www.kaupthingsingers.co.uk/Pages/3988

15 October 2008
Since I was appointed Liquidator Provisionally on 9 October 2008, my primary focus has been on trying to take control of and safeguard the assets of the company.

Communication?
I know that all depositors are very worried about the status of their deposits. The bank, the Financial Supervision Commission and my office have been swamped with telephone calls, emails, faxes and mail seeking information. This has created serious practical difficulties, and I know that many of you were not able to get through on the telephone and/or have not yet had replies to your queries. I am sorry that this was the case, however, the number of telephone calls particularly has been unprecedented. The telephone system at the bank is now up and running and a team of bank staff are answering calls between 9am and 5pm. If you are unable to get through, please bear with us and try again later. Staff are also working through the backlog of emails, faxes and letters.

Going forward, the best way to make contact is to write to the bank or to email branch(?)kaupthing [dot] com. If you need to telephone the bank, please use the main switchboard number +44 1624 699222.

Assets
My main responsibility as Liquidator Provisionally is to try and assume control of the company’s assets. To this end I have:
• Taken control of bank balances totalling approximately £103,000,000 which are held with banks outside the group
• Contacted the Administrators of Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander Limited (the UK bank) with the purpose of recovering the assets which are with them. I have also instructed UK lawyers to assist me if necessary
• Instructed lawyers in Iceland with a view to enforcing the parental guarantee

Potential purchasers of assets
I have received a number of enquiries from parties who have expressed an interest in purchasing parts of the business. Some have expressed an interest in the customer deposits, however, the main interest has been in the loan book. I have already met with five of these parties and will be meeting more over the course of the next few days. It is still very early days and expressions of interest are a long way from making an offer. However I am pursuing these expressions of interest as a matter of great urgency.

Transfers in transit
There are a large number of transfers which left the bank but which have not reached their intended destinations as they have been frozen in the clearing system. I am in the process of trying to determine where they are in the system in an attempt to unfreeze them. I will advise further as soon as I am able.
I understand that this situation is most distressing for depositors and I will use this website to update depositors periodically on the progress of the liquidation. However, please be patient as some matters such as commercial negotiations will necessarily have to take place in private.
Mike Simpson
Liquidator Provisionally of Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander (Isle of Man) Limited


Deposit book

  • Guernsey Girl
  • 13/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 15:35

As a buyer for the deposit book and/or other parts of the business remains the best option for existing depositors, people have been asking if a committment by the depositors to keep their funds in the bank for a set period of time (possibly earning interest at the UK base rate or 0.5% below) may make the company more attractive to potential purchasers (ie there would be no rush on withdrawals as soon as a sale was negotiated).

Is it feasible for the Liquidator to poll the website contributors to get a ground swell of opinion for or against? As on offshore resident I have to keep my money somewhere so it may as well be with the purchaser, especially if they have the backing of a UK bank (for what it's worth).


Sure feasible...

  • 491
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 17:20

...but my guess is that any acquiror would just assume a retention rate. and really, so long as the deposit are fully funded, they probably wouldn't care that much if they lost a few. But I'd gladly sign on for a couple of years if it would help them. Blair


I AM TAKING LEGAL ACTION - you can join me

  • HOPPER
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 14:44

If you did a chaps or bacs, please see my posting under "status of in flight transactions". Legal action is now being taken and you can join this action

(Moderator) - Original post is at the link below - Post ALL REPLIES THERE - not here, to keep them in one place:

http://www.ksfiomdepositors.netgenius.co.uk/?q=node/18#comment-4161


There are 87 of us on here...

  • Diver
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 14:23

...are we seriously saying we don't have anyone who is willing to be our 'face in London? See below:

http://www.ksfiomdepositors.netgenius.co.uk/?q=node/197

We need to have someone by tonight preferably so we can get at the Governement first thing tomorrow otherwise we'll have to wait until Monday and that's hardly preferable.

Worst comes to the worst I'll do it myself because this needs to be done but you really really don't want a 36 yr old with a foreign name and a public school accent being used as an example of people on here.....that would be media suicide. Harsh but true.


Petition

  • malc
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 14:26

Diver,

Sleeplessnight has already indicated that she and her husband are up for delivering personally. If it can all be put together tonight then fantastic, but Monday would'nt be a bad day either, gives us some time to get media etc ready

malc


Brilliant

  • Diver
  • 11/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 14:29

Thanks for that Malc, agree Monday would give us time to get media sorted...just been on 10 Downing st website and there don't seem to be any rules on how you hand over a paper petition....guess you just rock up and demand to hand it over.

Would be good to get a larger crowd together as well.


jejjen sorry I haven#t rung

  • expat
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 08:41

jejjen sorry I haven#t rung believe it or not that phone will only take incomig calls, Virgin for you!!!


no worries

  • jenren
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 08:59

If that is me, then no worries. Hope all is OK. you can always contact me on my hotmail account (via this site) .

My mum had the pics taken yesterday for Money section of the Guardian yesterday. Today I am going to badger my local MP again and maybe contact more Media people.

It seems the the Belgians have got their act together. I read a thread about a press release. I am willing to help pay towards it if someone else can write it.


thanks and well done

  • expat
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • unspecified
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 09:03

thanks and well done


sleepless

  • skintagainnow
  • 10/10/08 31/05/09
  • a depositor
  • Offline
  • Thu, 16/10/2008 - 08:04

email me